To support the educational research and evaluation efforts at Iowa State University through high quality support of faculty research, rigorous design and implementation of evaluation processes, and the extensive development and application of professional skills for graduate students.
Since 1974, the Research Institute for Studies in Education (RISE) has supported excellence in educational research, evaluation, and assessment at Iowa State University, in the state of Iowa, nationally, and internationally. As a unit in the School of Education, RISE staff provide practical and leadership experiences for graduate students, collaborate with faculty on research and evaluation efforts, and engage in instruction.
RISE staff support institutional research activities, conduct evaluations of academic programs, and contribute data for institutional improvement, policy development, accreditation, and program review. RISE staff have expertise in program and project evaluation using advanced quantitative and qualitative methodologies, as well as survey research and development, data management, and reporting services for clients both on and off campus.
Points of Pride
- Evaluating the effectiveness of teacher preparation and professional development programs designed to improve PK-12 and postsecondary STEM education
- Evaluating programs that encourage K-12 and postsecondary student interest in STEM subjects and STEM careers
- Increasing understanding of and developing evidence-based strategies to address contemporary social issues such as cyberbullying; global understanding; community services for older adults and persons with disabilities; and personal health and wellness
- Enhancing opportunities for underrepresented students, women faculty, and faculty of color in STEM fields through RISE research and evaluation
- Contributing to K-12 school initiatives to improve character development; school culture; school, family, and community partnerships; youth mental health services; and youth fitness and wellness
- Improving teacher effectiveness and the achievement of U.S. and international students as a result of participating in our 360° Feedback process
- Recognized by national organizations as leaders in the development of survey instruments and reporting methods
- Preparing graduate students and postdoctoral research associates for leadership positions at prestigious colleges, universities, and research centers